Thursday, March 4, 2010

Review: Bioshock 2

So, I got Bioshock 2 a while back, and I've been meaning to write a review about it forever, but you know me, I skip back and forth between games, the Internet, TV, and Class like a jackrabbit on speed. However, I was browsing around today post-class and I stumbled upon this video (Heads Up, NSFW Language wise and Plot Spoilers). It pretty much sums up my thoughts and feelings on Bioshock 2, but for those who don't feel like watching the video (or can't) and/or feel like hearing my futhered opinion, I bid you please, read on.

Bioshock 1 was a great game. I got it for maybe 20 bucks, Game of the Year edition, last Christmas. So I'd been anticipating this sequel for over a year, less than some, but long enough to know that when I got Bioshock 2, pumped around 20 hours into it on the hardest mode, and beat it within 48 hours of purchasing it, that I was disappointed. And it wasn't that it was a bad game, but after the rich story of Bioshock 1, that fully submersed you into the depths of this underwater city of Rapture, and the lives of the inhabitants, that it became apparent that this new story, picking up 10 years later, was lacking in the substance department.

Everything I liked about the first game, the hidden backstory, the characters, the twists, the fear inducing aspect; Gone. Sure, you have a somewhat hidden backstory, but almost all the characters are gone, there's almost no plot twists, and the fact that they made you the baddest mother this side of the planet being able to shake off splicers (bad guys) in your sleep, really just sapped the story to the point where I felt as if I were just going through the motions.

Why am I fighting this person? Oh? Generic Reason A? Alright. This one? Generic Reason B? Guess so.

After waiting so long to return to Rapture, though the actual gameplay and handling was somewhat improved, the overall game felt like they basically kicked the legs out from under the original, sucked out everything good, leaving it sputtering on the ground, threw in some generic plot, and then watched as the old game tried to pick itself up again. They decided to give it a crutch in Multiplayer, and while they may have skimmed on rehabilitating the core game, they decided to go all out on this part.

Playing the role of a Splicer, you basically go around messing with other splicers in your normal types of gameplay, Free for All, Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, etc. all renamed to fit within the Rapture world. Unlocking more Weapons, Plasmids (fireballs, electric bolts etc.), and Gene tonics (ability upgrades) as you go allows for some fun gameplay, and I must admit that I sunk a pretty good amount of time into Capture the Sister. However this just made me feel more depressed about how lacking the core was. They gave the hobbling game an ornate golden crutch, which drew more and more attention to how ragged the game was.

Overall, I liked the game. The world is spectacular, some plot points were interesting, and I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun playing it. However, it was too short, too linear, and too shallow, giving you a glimpse of prior glory, now faded and cast aside. I'm going to say 6/10. Rent it, unless you feel like playing multiplayer. And if you completely disagree with me? Go play the original again, or for the first time. I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment