Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Power of the Internet

I’m sure absolutely everyone knows this by now, but in recent news there has been a homeless man, by the name of Ted Williams, who is the man with the golden voice. It’s really astounding. I first heard the story on Barstool Sports, and as charming as I thought it was, I thought this is just another great story that would fly under the radar. 

Fast forward 24 hours.

Twitter, Facebook, Digg, CNN, Fox News, ESPN; Everything is blowing up with news about this guy. It's incredible. I know my Mom hadn't heard about it until I told her, but of course I told her after I not only saw it on ESPN, but on their show Around the Horn. She then proceeded to tell all her friends about it. It's an immense boon to the human spirit to think that one video, one small little YouTube video, could get put up about a man who has fallen on hard times, and not much later he would be doing radio appearances, as well as getting job offers from sports organizations. I'll keep this short, but this is a shout out to everyone who saw this, and told someone about it. Whether you wanted to show someone how funny it was, or how talented he was, or just because you were bored. Whoever you are, you gave this guy a second chance in a world that isn't known for second chances. Good work. For every story they run on the news about how something bad went down, they eventually let one of these good ones seep through the cracks, and I'm glad that this is the story that everyone picked up on. Good job on being you, whoever you are.

Thanks for renewing my faith in the human race everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment