Thursday, June 4, 2009

DETOUR: THIS WAY

Okay, so I know I’m supposed to be giving you the 411 on what happened with Halo. But I’m not. Cause I have forever and ever to tell you and dwell on all that. But this story is only going to be so amusing to me for tonight so I’m going to tell you now.

I finished with E3, made my way back to the hotel, got my bag, watched the end of the Red Sox game, and then hopped in my shuttle when it got there. It took about an hour to get to the Airport, including picking up everyone. In this case, everyone included: Our Mexican driver, a Chinese teen riding shotgun, two Japanese girls in the first row, an African-American twenty-something behind them, a blonde girl who was chattering away on her phone in some sort of Slavic language I wanna say, and myself, the Caucasian teen. Boy I bet we were a sight. Anyway, I was the last drop off, and I checked in, yada yada. Annoying as usual. (Taking off and putting on Converse All-Stars is a bitch.)

First thing I did when I got in the terminal was to go look for food. I saw a news stand with snacks (too hungry), a Cinnabon (just no.), an old school diner set up (maybe) and then finally a sports bar (bingo). Just to make sure I doubled back so I didn’t miss anything. On my way back to the sports bar, I checked the price for a cheese burger at the diner out of curiosity. $8.69. Wowzers. I got back to the bar, and I asked if they had food. They did. I looked at the menu, and a burger was $10.49. This better be a good fricken burger. I sat down and ordered, because I figured sitting alone watching TV at the sports bar was better than sitting alone staring at an empty seat at the diner. That extra cash’d hopefully get me a better burger. Got my drink, watched the end of the USA vs. Costa Rica World Cup Qualifying match (we lost 3-1) and eagerly awaited this delicious burger. So I did what any hungry person’d do and scoped out the door where my burger would be coming from. And then I kept on scoping. And then suddenly my burger appeared behind me. My waitress had walked over to the diner, and then gotten my burger there and brought it back to me. Now bear in mind, this diner was not more than a 30 second walk from the bar. Almost 2 extra dollars for my burger, just because I was 50 feet further, and I didn’t order the burger myself. If I’d have known I was just going to get food from the diner, I would have, let’s say it together now…that’s right, “gotten food from the diner”. It was dumb, and a rip off. But I’ve made my peace with it, but I thought that I might pass this knowledge onto ye, as ye might be in a similar situation, getting food at a sports bar next to a diner at a plane terminal at 9PM at LAX. Well, maybe not so similar. But just in case, yaknow?

Next time. E3. Promise.

P.S. Anybody else ever notice those weird old asian ladies who wear scarfs and gloves and bring boxes of tissues on to planes? I just thought about it and they're always somewhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment